Monday, August 20, 2012

A Little Bit of This and a Little Bit of That..........

My sister, she lives in Iowa.  She calls me every now and then and will ask me to look up something for her on the computer.  She has one but she is new to the internet, so I am glad to help her out.  She loves to go to estate sales and antique stores.  A few years ago, she lived less than 1 block off the Cedar River.  That was the year they had the 500 year flood.  She lost nearly everything in her house.  So she enjoys shopping for the little things that make a house a home.  A few weeks ago she called me and told me that she had bought some little houses and asked me to look them up.  I did and gave her the information.  I am also a lover of old things.  I thought, these are so cute, I wonder if I can find some.  So I started searching.  In England, I found these and of course I had to buy them. 

KLM Houses
The little houses are actually booze bottles.  Look at the bottom, it says distillers.  One of them is full, one is partially full and one is empty.  The seals have not been broken.  I assume with age the liquor disappears. 

KLM gives them out in the first-class section of a flight. 





KLM Bottle Backs
















KLM Bottle Bottoms







Batik
Look at this wonderful piece of Batik.  I have been looking for a Batik (nothing in my stash) to go with my Hallelujah blocks.  I have tried everything under the sun.  I could not find something to go with all four colors that I was using in the block.  I found that 3 colors would work great but 4 would not.  I was out the other day at QB and found this piece of Batik.  All four colors work well.  I bought lots, like the rest of the bolt.  This is for a background fabric and I did not want to run out.  If there is fabric left over and I think there will be, it will go on the back of the quilt. 

And the last thing for today is a picture of the Crepe Myrtle bush in my yard.  The neighborhood has dozens of them.  Mine always blooms late.  It is blooming better this year than ever.  I decided to get a picture, it looked like rain and I was afraid I would loose all the blooms.  I would really like to plant several of these in the yard, I just need someone with a strong back and willing nature. 

Hope all is well with you. 
Crepe Myrtle Bush

1 comment:

  1. That looks like the color of mine. We just had them planted in June this year. 4 or 5 are blooming and I am smiling. Most plant nurseries have a person that will install them.

    ReplyDelete