Monday, June 25, 2012

Russian Church and etc.


Russian Orthodox Church at Kenai, AK

In Kenai there is a Russian Orthodox Church built in 1893.  It was very pretty and well kept.  We were there in May, so many of the trees were not leafed out as yet and the day I took this picture it was rather gloomy.  The plaque in front of the church tells the story of the church.  We could not go in, it was closed. 

Thread from Anchorage, AK
My friend Ina, lives at Eagle River.  It is about 15 miles or so from Anchorage.  The day that we flew back we went to the airport early so that Ina could meet us there.  I hopped into her car and she took me to 4 quilt shops in a very short period of time.  I wish I had pictures but I don't - they were - Quilt Zone, Seams Like Home, The Quilt Tree, and the Quilted Raven.  I did buy a little fabric, but I had purchased a lot of fabric before ever getting to Anchorage, so I thought I would leave it to another trip.  And I would like to do another trip.  Alaska is such a huge state, just being on the penninsula, I am sure I missed a lot.  In one of the shops they had yarn.  This was the end of my yarn purchases.  I could not pass this one up.  It reminded me of batiks.  That is the extent of my thread purchases and shall be the end until I get all of them made into something.

Its All Greek to Me
This is a quilt that I have just finished and I sent it to my brother-in-law, Gary.  I thought it made into a nice man's quilt. 

I still have more to tell you about my trip to Alaska, so it will be continued, and if you wish to read more, read the previous posts.


2 comments:

  1. Looks like u had a great trip!!!

    glen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great man's quilt--love the setting and the large motifs. Sounds like a really good vacation. Someday I hope to get to Alaska too.

    ReplyDelete