Wednesday, May 30, 2012

I'm Back

I am back from my trip to Alaska.  I flew out on May 18th and returned May 28th.  I have a quilting friend, Beth, whose husband is working at Nikiski.  She was going to Alaska to see him so I tagged along.  We flew out of Lake Charles to Houston, picked up a straight-through flight to Anchorage and then a short flight on ERA to Kenai.  It was long, very long.  My stay in Alaska made up for the inconvenience of the plane trip.  I am posting a map which will make it easier for those of you who would like to know the relationship of the places that I will talk about.  I am going to break this down into several posts.  I have too many pictures and too much chatter to do it all in one post. 

Not only did we take in all the beautiful scenery but we visited several quilt shops.  Since Alaska has a very long and cold winter they quilt.  I also noticed that some of the quilt shops have yarn and the supplies to go with it. 

The first quilt shop that we went to was at Homer, AK.  Homer is at the end of the Kenai Peninsula, that is at the end of where you can drive. 

Beth at The Sewciable Quilt - Homer, AK
This is a lovely shop.  I left a few dollars there.  We also found a great great gift shop in Homer.  I told Beth, that she could buy half and I would buy the other half.  They had lovely things.  I would have liked to picked it up and dropped it in Lake Charles.  I did buy a picture frame (restrictions of suitcase space). 

Lands End, Homer, AK
We had lunch at the Lands End.  This again is as far as you can drive.  The scenery here was beyond fabulous.  I will post pictures of it in the next blog.  The food that we had in Alaska was very good.  They serve a lot of it, but it is expensive.  I would say roughly double or close to what it would cost in Lake Charles. 

To be continued.................

No comments:

Post a Comment