Thursday, December 27, 2012

Minnesota Winter Chili - The Food of the Gods

I found a recipe in a magazine for Minnesota Winter Chili.  It is ever so good.  Since I live alone, I really don't cook alot but I thought that this is something that I can fix and it would  be good warmed up.  Of course since I don't cook a lot, I usually don't have all the ingredients in the house for any recipe.  I am not one to run to the grocery store.  I will check my cupboard to see what I can substitute.  I am going to give you "my" recipe. 

I started with a 4 qt pan.  When I was finished it was filled to about 1/4 inch from the top.  I started with the top ingredient and just kept adding.  You should cook it until at least the potatoes are done, but it could cook awhile longer to flavor it.  Cook it on a medium-low heat.  I covered it. 

2 TBS of olive oil
1 TBS of garlic salt
1 PKG of seasoning blend
1 can cut carrots
2 cups frozen little corn kernels
1 large potato diced
1 TSP ground cumin
2 TBS of Chili-O
2 TSP of sea salt
1/2  TSP of black pepper
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 can of tomato puree
1 can of kidney beans, drained
1 can black beans, drained
1 can red beans, drained
1 can chicken broth
1 can 5.5 oz V-8 Juice

All cans should be approximately 16 oz unless noted.  If you have onions, celery, green and red pepper they can be cut and diced in place of the seasoning blend.   When it was ready to serve, I added shredded cheese and sour cream to the top of an individual bowl.        ENJOY!!!!

Before I close off, I want to talk about the little quilt in the picture.  It was made by Brenda Peavy.  I belonged ( no longer) to a quilting bee.  Just after Christmas we draw names for the following Christmas.  It works like a secret sister.  You never know who has your name until that Christmas when the bee exchanges gifts.  This was my gift this year.  The rooster, one of my treasures and one of the resident roosters in my kitchen occupies a prime spot on the table. 

No comments:

Post a Comment